Sunday, August 26, 2012

Hello!

photo taken august 25th, at a rockabilly-themed bridal shower


My name is Sabrina. Some of you may know me from my blog "the doubtful pixie", where I write about my life and various things I find inspiring. If you've never read my other blog, feel free to drop by and say hello.

I decided to write a baby blog because I had a lot of things going through my mind. One day, I'd like my child to be able to read what I was thinking and how I was feeling during my pregnancy. I also wanted to share things with other mothers who may be going through this phase of their life right now. I found so many tutorials and free patterns for fun things to make for baby, as well as some really good articles on child rearing.

I thought I'd share with you a little about myself, first.

I am the youngest of three kids, and the only girl. My parents have been married for 36 years. I'm 32, and just celebrated my first anniversary with my husband, Kris. I have worked for the same company for 14 years, and actually met Kris at work. We've been together for over four years and share a love of art and all things creative.

I was never going to get married and have kids. I thought of myself as an independent, Bohemian artist who needed her freedom to travel and create. Well, I've never traveled and after working full time since the age of 21, creating things was at a bare minimum. I did what a lot of 20-somethings do, and built up a pretty heavy amount of credit card debt shopping and having fun. It wasn't until I met Kris that I started developing more creatively and actively pursuing those interests again.

As I mentioned, Kris and I have been together for four years. Even a year ago, when we got married, I couldn't see myself having kids with him. Not that it was him personally, but our financial situation wasn't great and only got worse after he lost his job. However, we started spending a lot more time with his sister, who has two kids, and some couple friends of his, who have a little girl. Suddenly, that desire to have a baby that everyone told me I would have one day started to develop.

Then, the realization that I was almost 32 hit me. It was a month or two before my birthday, and I was thinking to myself, "I don't have much time left to have kids. Maybe three to eight years, and I don't really want to be too much older when I have a baby. Do I really NEVER want to have kids? Not even ONE?" Now, I know that a lot of women hold off on having children for good reasons. I'm not saying I think it's wrong or bad to be an older mother. For me, at this particular time, however, I realized if I kept putting it off for whatever reason I thought of, it would probably never happen. I also realized that I might lose out on a really happy and exciting experience if I really NEVER had kids. 

Kris and I had the "are you ready to be a parent?" conversation shortly after I started feeling this way. I think he was always ready to have kids and was just waiting for me to decide. So, here I am- five months (21 weeks) pregnant, expecting a little girl in January. We're both really excited, as is our family and all of our friends. I know I'm about to start the most challenging venture of my life, but I'm so happy I decided to go for it. ~

2 comments:

  1. As I said on your other blog - congratulations, and may everything go well for you. Look forward to updates as and when. Got a name for her yet? Who knows, you might like to have a ColdhamCuddly waiting for her? They are always looking for their Forever Homes!

    All the best to you all1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Isobel. I think I may have mentioned before how much I like your name. We've been throwing out ideas, and I mentioned "Isobel" as one of my favorites. My hubby has been a little more picky with girl names, though. (We agreed immediately on the first boy name I suggested.) I think this part of the process is going to come down to when we finally see her.

    Also, LOVE your bears and bunny rabbits. I might have to pick one out for my "wee one".

    ReplyDelete