Friday, September 7, 2012

"Oh, my poor achin' feet!"

On August 23rd, I was released to go back to work the following Monday (the 27th). In a way, I was relieved. I had been off for 12 weeks and ran out of sick pay. I could have continued collecting $200 a week from the union I am in, but that wouldn't have been enough to pay all of our bills. My manager was able to fit me onto the schedule, starting with short 5-hour shifts.

After the first day, my feet were in so much pain I didn't want to stand. The next day, I switched to wearing my tennis shoes, and the pain wasn't quite as intense. I knew getting used to standing and walking (especially on our store's cement floors) was going to be a bit difficult.

Unfortunately, years before I was pregnant I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, which was most likely brought on after years of standing on those hard floors. I did some research and found that pregnant women are also prone to this ailment, due to the weight gain and pressure put on blood vessels. Because of my previous history and my current condition, I am definitely having a major flare-up.

I worked a noon to 9 pm shift last night, and came hobbling home. On my evening break, I bought some shoe inserts to see if the cushioning would help alleviate the pain. They only made my shoes tighter, causing more harm than good. I tried to work today, but after an hour my feet felt like they were on fire. I stayed for half of my shift, but went home on "lunch" (at 4 pm). As I type this post, I have a sharp pain shooting up the top of my left foot.

I have tried treating this condition in multiple ways over the years. I bought different shoes. I've tried shoe inserts. (The doctor told me not to buy expensive orthodics.) I used to soak my feet in warm water and Epsom salt with a couple drops of tea tree oil. I thought it helped tremendously, but the doctor told me to use ice packs instead (which is also suggested on most of the websites I found). I've never tried ice, though. Mostly, I just learned to deal with the pain. Some days are worse than others.
  
I write this post, not because I want sympathy, but because this is part of my experience. Part of my purpose writing this blog was to, one day, help my child understand what I went through during pregnancy. Well, maybe years from now, I can look back and remember the experience myself. After all, people say you forget the pain you went through bringing baby into the world the minute you see their cute little face.  


No comments:

Post a Comment