Sunday, April 21, 2013

miss daphne enters the world

Of course, I cried the first time I saw my little one.

I was going to write this post more as my daughter's birth story, but I decided that might be a little too personal and possibly scary to some. Instead, I'm just going to make this a brief, happy post.

Miss Daphne was a sweet baby from the beginning.

I went into the hospital for a scheduled induction on a Wednesday night. I had some health factors that my doctor was working with cautiously. She didn't want me to go too far past my due date because the health risks increased the longer the baby was still inside. 
  
The surgery was really fast, and my baby was here before I knew it.

The induction failed, and on Thursday morning I was given the option of either trying again, or having a cesarean. My family and I discussed it and I decided to go with the c-section.

Right after she was born, in the operating room.

Miss Daphne was born at 3 o'clock on Thursday afternoon. She was (and still is) a healthy baby. She was 6 pounds 10 ounces at birth, and 19 inches long. 

Shortly after her birth.

Daphne was born with dark hair and blue eyes. She looks a lot like me, and has her father's eyes. 

Taken on Saturday, 2 days old.

We were blessed with a happy baby. She lost a little too much weight in the first couple of days after her birth, but once my milk came in she started gaining weight again. She loves to eat.  

Taken on Saturday, 2 days old.

She was such a tiny baby when she was born. I'd look at her in amazement. As big as I felt, I expected her to be much bigger. She's perfect, though, and we love her dearly.

Picture taken by our friend, Michelle, when she visited in the hospital.

We only had a few visitors in the hospital. My mom stayed with me Friday night, because my husband had to go to work Saturday morning. Our friend, Nancy, and her granddaughter, Keeona, came on Saturday, as well as our friend, Michelle. Sunday was the last day I was in the hospital, and our friend, Barb, visited. My in-laws live 250 miles away, so they couldn't visit until Monday, when I was home.

Daphne with Dr. Stewart at my 2-week checkup.

My doctor was on vacation when the induction was scheduled, so her colleague, Dr. Stewart, actually delivered Daphne. He was very kind and took care of us so well. We were all very happy in the end.

Daphne is now three months old. She's still a petite little thing, but she's growing. Her eyes are getting darker and she's growing more hair. I love dressing her up in cute outfits. We take walks now that it's getting warmer. Even when she's fussy and cries I absolutely adore her. She's learning how to use her voice, and giggles and coos a lot. It's the cutest thing.

I love being a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment